2017 Dec by Mike Davis
If you're like us, you spent several years supporting ULINE for your shipping and packing materials and office supplies. Huge variety, good prices, fast delivery, what wasn't to love? Then the giant catalogs started to show up once every few weeks. Then you started hearing maybe they were kind of Republican but it was OK cause just look at all those mailing envelopes! And the first aid kits and packing tape!
Then the company president Liz Uihlein (get it? They named the company after themselves) unnecessarily published a letter jam-packed with racism, veiled racism, and varying degrees of subtle racism. Then we found out her husband, Richard Uihlein donated ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS to a group trying to help get accused pedophile and devout bigot Roy Moore elected to Senate. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?
So now you're stuck, wondering where the hell you're going to find all the great packing, shipping, and office supplies your business depends on without having to send money to a company who is afraid of brown people and gay people, but thinks pedophiles are A-OK??? Well, here is a thorough list of great alternatives to ULINE! Please support these companies, please share this list, and please send us any other suggestions to add to it!
----------> PACKING / MAILING SUPPLIES
- wide variety of paper for printing and packaging, kraft paper, packing tape. Twin Cities based!
- eco-friendly shopping bags, custom printed bags, zip-top and paper bags
- bags for LPs, comics, baseball cards, photos, stamps + shipping supplies
- corrugated boxes, mailers, foam, tape, twine, media mailers. Recommended for record dealers!
CEDAR BOX COMPANY
- custom cardboard boxes and wooden shipping crates, wooden pallets, and more. Twin Cities based!
- poly bags for food & gifts, envelopes, decorative boxes, shipping boxes
CORNELL-ROBBINS PAPER AND BOX COMPANY
- corrugated boxes, mailers, mailing tubes, styrofoam, tape
- corrugated boxes, mailers, packing and shipping supplies
ECOENCLOSE (we love this place and order from them often!)
- biodegradable / sustainable packaging, custom size mailing boxes
- custom shopping bags, sustainable packaging
- kraft paper, bubble wrap, packing tape, poly bags, paper mailers
LCH PAPER TUBE
- sturdy, custom cardboard tubes - great for shipping posters! Minnesota-based!
MR. BOX ONLINE
- shipping and packaging materials, custom printed cardboard boxes
THE PACKAGING GROUP
- industrial packing supplies, cardboard boxes, tape, plastic sheeting, edge protectors
- corrugated boxes, chipboard, custodial supplies, mailers, bubble wrap, stretch tape
- eco-friendly / custom printed packaging for food, gifts, store display
PRIME PACKAGING CORP
- custom sized cardboard boxes, shipping labels, tape, mailers
- office supplies, ink and toner, Office Max alternative
- food and beverage packaging, industrial fabrication
RUSSELL LABEL & PACKAGING CO
- bags for shopping, food, merchandise, boxes, pricing labels. Twin Cities based!
SUNSHINE CANDLE & SOAP
- small cardboard display boxes
TRINITY PACKAGING SUPPLY
- corrugated boxes, packing tape, packing film, wooden pallets, void fill
U.S. PACKAGING AND WRAPPING
- shrink wrap, plastic wrap, tape, packaging supplies
- corrugated boxes, packing and shipping supplies, glassine, carts, poly bags
VAN OWNERS PURCHASING BUREAU
- packing, shipping, moving materials, Long Island-based company
- sturdy cardboard mailing tubes, great for posters.
----------> INDUSTRIAL / HARDWARE
- custodial supplies, hardware, plumbing, storage and shelving
GRAINGER INDUSTRIAL SUPPLY
- tools, hardware, safety supplies, electrical, custodial supplies, shelving
1-800 GRAINGER (472-4643)
- hardware, electrical, lighting, storage, shipping
----------> ARCHIVAL SUPPLIES
- archival binders, boxes
- archival folders, document preservation, exhibit display, storage, shelving
- archival boxes, archival pages, photo display and handling supplies
- order fulfillment
Thank you for leaving a comment!
You will be able to check it out shortly!
- Thank you SO very much for this list. I’m starting a new business and did not want to support Uline. Finding all of these suppliers would have been difficult for me right now I’m short on time. Thanks a million.
- Thanks for this! How gross. Ordered from somewhere else!
- Thank you so much for this list! Uline is heinous!
- The box company I use has amazing prices and is eco-friendly. Plus you can add your logo on the boxes. If you guys have a e-commerce store check them out. Mike, would you also feature their website on this piece? https://brandablebox.io
- Thank you so much for this list – I run a nonprofit office space and we really need to upgrade some of our items we generally would have gotten from uline – so I was really lost trying to find good altrernatives. AMAZING!
- Interesting read. I googled Uline vs Global looking for comparisons and came across this. We spend $8,000/year with Uline. This year we will probably spend $10,000. I am going to transition to Global.
- “So now you’re stuck, wondering where the hell you’re going to find all the great packing, shipping, and office supplies your business depends on without having to send money to a company who is afraid of brown people and gay people, but thinks pedophiles are A-OK?” Microaggression. The author definitely has a case of TDS. There is zero racism in the letter. In fact the author is race-baiting out of thin-air. Now I have a new appreciation for U-Line because they are Republican. U-line is on the right team. For your information, U-Line has the edge with supporting government contracts. I know this because I have been involved in DoD contracts for a couple decades. However, I do appreciate you saving me time and listing several competitors because competition is what makes this country better.
- Thank you for the heads up on this list. Now I have a new appreciation for U-Line because they are Republican. I had to make the political party switch due democrats radicalizing and leading our country into an abyss. U-line is on the right team. I also appreciate you listing several competitors because competition is what makes this country better.
- They also only partner with right wing transportation companies like Oak Harbor and FEdEx. I guess UPS is too diverse for this tea party, Christian racist company. Boycott Uline. Where is the 60 minutes piece on these clowns
- It’s sad to see individuals here presented with the facts and not willing to make an effort to stand up for what they believe in and put their money where their mouth is. If you maintain a business relationship with U-Line you are literally funneling money into support of extreme conservative political causes and politicians which is even more valuable than your one single vote against said politicians. You are supporting their cause with your money.
- Thank you so much for this list!
- Thank you so much for the list of suppliers it’s been hard tracking down who supplies what at what cost. And thank you everyone in the comments for recommending additional companies!!! Seriously gracious! Although I personally can’t see any racism in the letter I suppose all that you are pointing out is your perception of microaggressions. I suppose it really depends on one’s conception of racism. They didn’t outright say the ‘n’ word or imply one race is superior/inferior to another which I would define as being racist. And so I don’t see how ‘racism, veiled racism, and varying degrees of subtle racism.’ (which could be shortened to just racism) is an apt description of the situation. On the problem of black on black crime; yes, there is many papers in opposition of the conclusion that blacks kill other blacks at higher rates, but for every paper that disagrees many more support the conclusion and the methodology and any political sway of the funders of the research must be taken into consideration. For instance there is a lot of research and data in support of the earth is round but you can find flat earth proponents and their research out there too. I can understand and sympathize with them about their concern of marijuana. (Personally I don’t care what you do in your free time, but company time is company work) Although for many it is not a gateway drug, there is a large concern about work performance while high. They are a company out to make a profit and having any inefficiency can be the difference between profiting or going out of business. Not to mention it is inconsiderate to other employees who have to be with in the vicinity of those who choose to get high medical or otherwise. My personal gripe is with the smell. I hate it with smokers and essential oil enthusiast. Strong scents give me migraines. Is it fair to me if I have to put up with this? About the healthcare thing. I would love it if everyone could be treated and get all the free healthcare they wanted. But the reality is that things cost money. Whether you’re pimping the taxpayer to pay for whatever ails you or you can afford to pay it out of pocket; free is never free. California, I would never want to try to run a business in California. I might have an issue of the blind trying to lead the 20/20 vision. All they politicians who have never and will never be subjugated to their own endless list of regulations keep adding barriers to production and innovation with every regulation they sign into law. Seriously if you want to know why unemployment and homelessness is high just try to create jobs in Cali. In conclusion I will continue to use U-line. Unfortunately I cannot afford to support other companies since I an a growing business and margins are tight. It’s nice to be informed on the goings on in the company, but as long as they (u-line) provide the best ratio of quality product to price there’s really no alternative. Maybe I’m just not oversensitive, but I don’t see the racism.
- this blog is very informative. Thanks for sharing such useful information. Good work. Keep it up. https://custompackagingboxes.co.uk/
- thank you for this info – wish there was more activism like this – makes consumerism easier….
- I am also having trouble seeing the racism in the letter.
- Thanks for sharing this list! Great to have alternatives, because it does matter!
- John – all we want is a box as well. We were fine getting them from ULINE when all they sold us was boxes. When they started peddling their racist bullshit and spending money to support pedophiles, that’s when we stopped. If you’re OK giving your money to anti-Muslim / pedophile supporters, then by all means go for it.
- Bullshit. Uline makes the best boxes. If I had to worry about the political affiliation of every company I made a purchase from, I imagine I could come up with something I did not like about them. I want a box, thats all. Go take a chill pill, or smoke a pipe.
- WOW!! Thanks so much for the heads-up! I haven’t bought anything from them but was looking at their site just recently….
- Wow, that letter is gross. And poorly designed. I didn’t know Uline was so awful. Thanks for spreading the word and listing these other suppliers.
- Another excellent company is Archival Methods (866-877-7050), for archival storage and presentation products. www.archivalmethods.com firstname.lastname@example.org
- Excellent list, thank you! I’ve been trying to avoid ULINE for the last few years but hearing they supported Roy Moore is the final straw. I love Clear Bags (GREAT customer service and super fast if you’re on the west coast) and would also add Mailers USA to this list, they saved my bacon this holiday season.
- Thank you so much for this enormous list of suppliers! Would you be able to recommend any european-based eco-friendly packaging company? Thank you!
- Andrew – there are some great articles online about debunking the myth of “black on black crime” which her Chicago bullshit refers to. Republicans and neo Nazis love to bring this up as a way to make it look like African Americans do nothing but destroy their own communities while everyone else is a bunch of perfect angels. Building the wall is 100% racism. It’s white people trying to keep immigrants out of our country. The marijuana thing is not much more than trying to put African American men in prison for minor offenses. While on the surface, she’s not yelling racist slurs, it’s easy to read between the lines to see what she’s really getting at here. And it’s awful.
- Decided about a week ago to make our shop Uline-free as possible from now on and was about to start the task of compiling this. Shouts out. Will share a ton.